September 2017 Meeting
Our next FAA Meeting will be this Friday, September 15th @ the Fluvanna County Library 9:30 am.
The scheduled presentation with James Nemer discussing sculptures has unexpectedly been delayed to a future date next year. We hope to reschedule Mr. Nemer next April when his calendar is more open.
The meeting presentation will be presented by Page Gifford. Page will be doing a demonstration/workshop entitled “Building a Drawing part I” in graphite. This demonstration will focus on shading and looking at darks and lights to get the most realism from your drawing. It is less about lines and more about lights and shadows in building a pencil drawing. We will also look at black and white photographs and learn to “read them” with a gray scale.
Supplies –Assorted drawing pencils, drawing paper, kneaded eraser, tortillon aka paper stump for blending
We have a lot of new members to the FAA this year so I thought it would be good to do a review and update for the upcoming Fall Art Show. This show is always a fun event and provides an opportunity to offer local artwork to the public.
Here are some reminders and clarifications:
- Every Fall we have a show called the “People’s Choice”
- This show is held at the Fluvanna County Library, 214 Commons Blvd, Palmyra.
- The judging for this show is done by all the people that attend the reception.
- This show is open to the public, so please bring your friends, family & guests.
- Refreshments will be provided by FAA members.
- The FAA will provide the paper products, and drinks, so any appetizers you can provide will be welcome.
- Each member can enter up to 2 pieces, any size up to 36×40 including framing.
- The application and $10.00 fee can be submitted along with the artwork at drop off time.
- All artwork other than the “Smalls” (50 sq. in or less) will be divided and hung by the three experience categories (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced).
- All artwork 50 sq. in. and smaller regardless of experience categories will be hung together.
- Everyone attending the reception will have a chance to choose by vote for their favorite work in each of the 4 categories: Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, and Smalls.
- The voting will begin at 12:30 and close at 1:30 pm.
- Winners will be announced at 2:00 and ribbons will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each category.
- Show Schedule:
- Monday, September 18th 3-6pm Collect and Hang
- Saturday, September 23rd 12:30-2:30 Reception
- October 20th closing date for artwork removal
Looking forward to seeing all of you. Please let me know if you have any questions,
Susan Lang, President